Rood's Chocolates, Fenton

From The Encyclopedia of Carnival Glass Lettered Pieces, by John Resnik, 1989.

"Rood's was born as the Pueblo Cracker & Confectionery Co. in 1889. Between 1891 and 1909 the business changed owenrships several times with the attendant names of American Biscuit & Manufacturing Co., and later as Colorado Confectionary Company. The owner during this latest tenure was the National Biscuit Co (NABISCO). Aaron Rood had been employed by this company in various capacities since it's inception. In 1909, with a total capital of $150,000, he acquired ownership and incorporated the company. By 1910 Rood had built a new 32,000 square foot facility at 408-416 West 7th Street, Pueblo, Colorado. During this transition the name was changed to the Roods Candy Company.

Aaron Rood died in 1921 and his son Jesse assumed control of the company. Jesse sold his interest in the business in 1935 and retired to California. The new owners retained the Roods name until the company's demise in 1939.

During World War II the Pueblo Junior College System acquired the old Rood's building and utilized it as a vocational training center for wartime assembly line workers. After the War the building was used as a warehouse facility for the local school district. In 1981 the old building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, thus insuring it's survival."

Updated 1/4/2018

Hard to believe that such a plain item could be worth so much, but when one of the handful of known examples comes up for sale, it'll bring a good price. These little plates are 6 inches across and always in amethyst. The lettering reads "Rood's Chocolates, Pueblo."


Amethyst, 3,400 (2005), 3,000 (2007),
   2,700 (2009), 1,600 (2010), 4,000 (2015),
   1,200, 2,700 (both 2017)